More from Simonton.com
SimontonSays /
Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Scary Windows No Treat for Homeowners


If you live in a home built prior to 1978, make sure to determine if your home’s exterior was painted with lead-based paint.

There’s no trick to knowing the hazards of lead-based paint on family members. Just view the one-minute message from Simonton Windows. Of particular concern is that the friction created by opening and closing windows and doors coated in lead-based paint can generate lead dust, which contaminates the household. This harmful dust can be inhaled and inadvertently spread to other areas of the home.

According to Rick Nevin, a consultant to the National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH), the worst news is that young children, who crawl on floors and have hand-to-mouth contact, are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of lead poisoning. “Research indicates that the everyday activity of opening and closing windows creates friction that then allows invisible lead dust to enter the air,” says Nevin.

“Toddlers put their hands in their mouths ... and after playing on the floor near a window, they can easily transfer the lead dust into their mouths,” says Nevin. “The ingested lead travels through the bloodstream to a child’s developing brain, causing many types of neurobehavioral damage.”

Click HERE to gain access to free materials and more information on lead safe issues at the Simonton Windows website.

Comments for Scary Windows No Treat for Homeowners


Leave a comment





Captcha

Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  © 2014 Simonton Building Products, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Powered by Compendium  |  Sitemap